LDAP Server Connections Closing Immediately

Jonathan Gryak jgryak at westport.k12.ct.us
Wed Apr 13 20:50:44 CEST 2016

Hi Alan,
Sorry for not elaborating. I was primarily concerned with the debug
message: rlm_ldap (ldap): 0 of 0 connections in use.  You  may need to
increase "spare"

I suppose that I would expect the slot count in the pool to decrease or
increase with each connection used, as when the server initially starts up
the number of available slots decreases from 32 to 28.

Regarding the "re-use LDAP connections", I thought the lifetime=0 setting
would mean that an existing slot would used, and that slot would be
indicated in the debug output for each LDAP connection. I though perhaps
that the "1 of 32 pending slots used" message indicated that a new thread
was being created each time, rather than reusing one from the pool.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>
wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2016, at 2:24 PM, Jonathan Gryak <jgryak at westport.k12.ct.us>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Alan,
> > Thank you for the response.  I may have truncated the debug output too
> > soon. After the 4 connections are used, the following output appears for
> > each LDAP connection in the same request (notice that the number of slots
> > reverts back to 32):
>
>   That isn't answering my question.  I said:
>
> >>  What does that mean?  There is no configuration which says "re-use LDAP
> >> connections".  It just uses connections from a pool.
>
>   So what is going *wrong*?
>
>   I already explained why it's closing connections.  Did you understand
> that?  Or do you think something *else* is going wrong?
>
>   So far all you're doing is saying "it says something about 32
> connections".
>
>   Well... yes.  So?
>
>   Alan DeKok.
>

> -