rlm_ippool - max_timeout

Óscar Remírez de Ganuza Satrústegui oscarrdg at unav.es
Fri Apr 22 13:57:45 CEST 2016

Good morning,

We are using freeradius rlm_ippool to asign IPs in some VPN service.

As our NAS (VPN server) do not support sending accounting packets to our
radius, our assigned IPs do not get released properly with accounting-stop
packets.
So we have to release them "manually".

In our previous freeradius (2.1.9) we used "rlm_ippool_tool -r db.ippool
db.ipindex" to release them periodically.

But with our actual freeradius (3.0.10) we are suffering some kind of
corruption on db files if we used the tool "rlm_ippool_tool -r". With "kind
of corruption" I meant that we are seeing that the pool size is getting
smaller and smaller through time. [2] Very weird.

So we tried some other ways to release the assigned IPs.

We set maximum_timeout attribute on the ippool to 86400 seconds (1 day), in
order to make the entries not active after a day, but it is not working
either. We are not seeing any "active" (active:1) IP changing to "not
active" (active:0).

How is this timeout suppose to work?

Reading the doc [3], it just says:
"# maximum-timeout: If not zero specifies the maximum time in seconds an
entry may be active."

How is an active entry going to change its status from active:1 to active:0
?
How is it tracking how much time it is active?

Does the module rlm_ippool needs to be called also in a special way?
Or is it just releasing the IPs when it needs them because the pool is full?

Or maybe we have just misunderstood the real use of this max_timeout
attribute.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

[1]
http://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2014-September/073835.html
[2] We check the ippool status using: "rlm_ippool_tool -v db.ippool
db.ipindex  |wc -l"
[3] http://wiki.freeradius.org/modules/Rlm_ippool

*Oscar Remírez de Ganuza Satrústegui*
IT Services