Troubleshooting EAP-TLS with External Certificates

Matthew West matthew.t.west at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 01:35:01 CEST 2016

Hello Alan and All,

I've started over with my FreeRADIUS implementation with the newer
version to simplify troubleshooting my issue.  My implementation is in
a 'successful' state and I would like to verify my next steps to
ensure I don't miss anything before attempting to use external certs.
I've been successful using 'snakeoil' and self-signed certificates,
I'm trying to get FreeRADIUS to work with externally generated
certificates, as all of the users I'm authenticating already have
e-mail/auth certs for themselves.

My progress:
---
Install and Test of FreeRADIUS
==============================
1. Installed/Configured CentOS 7 (CentOS7-x86_64-1511)
    a. Disabled SELinux
    b. Disabled firewalld
    c. Set up Networking
    d. Changed hostname
2. Installed FreeRADIUS v3 (x86_64 0:3.0.4-6.el7)
    a. Installed freeradius
    b. Installed freeradius-utils
    c. Installed openssl
    d. Installed wpasupplicant
3. Configure FreeRADIUS for testing PAP
    a. Enabled 'bob' test user
    b. radtest with 'bob' - SUCCESS
4. Configure FreeRADIUS for testing EAP
    a. made certificates
    b. eapol_test using 'peap-mschapv2.conf' - SUCCESS

Add RADIUS Client and Test
==========================
1. Configure Cisco Switch
    a. Added AAA server and shared secret to switch
    b. Added switch IP and shared secret to clients.conf
2.  Tested EAPOL on Switch
    a. 'test aaa group radius bob hello port 1812 legacy'
    b. Result:
        'Attempting authentication test to server-group radius using radius
        User was successfully authenticated.'
3. MS-CHAPv2 is working from the switch with a test user! - SUCCESS
---

Here are my next steps, I want to make sure I didn't miss anything
before moving forward, as I'm in a 'good' state:
1. Server
    a. Copy server certificate to /certs directory (star.company.net.crt)
    b. Copy server key to /certs directory (star.company.net.key)
    c. Copy CA cert to /certs directory (gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt)
    d. Configure /mod-enables/eap.conf to certificate files
2. Client
    a. Import CA file to trusted certificate store
    b. Test Connectivity

Are there any steps I've missed?  Do I need to keep the 'dh' in /certs/?

Thank you for your help,

Matthew