Binding MAC address with username

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Dec 21 03:42:41 CET 2016

On Dec 20, 2016, at 8:47 PM, Alexandre Croteau <alextyhero123 at live.ca> wrote:

> For my setup, I'd like to bind a MAC address to a specific user when it first login. For exemple, user 1 connects from computer 00:11:22:33:44:55. I'd like the system to remember this MAC address, so that the next time the user reuses this same computer, it does not asks to connect again.

  What does that mean?

  The switch will always do RADIUS for authentication.  There is no way to tell the switch to bypass RADIUS.

> This way, the users would rather be the mac addresses. Another solution I think would be to store the MAC address as a new user in the same group as user 1.

  You're talking about a solution, and how best to implement the solution.

  Talk instead about the problem.  In concrete terms.  What does the switch do?  When does it do that?  What does the user do?  When / why?

  You don't have a good grasp of what the switch / RADIUS server does.  As a result, your questions are based on incorrect assumptions.  There's no real way to answer your questions as-is, because the assumptions are incorrect.