Version 3.0.4 Centos 7 EAP-TLS : EAP failure

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Feb 7 03:09:44 CET 2016

On Feb 6, 2016, at 8:45 PM, John Teasley <ollieteasley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been trying to freeRADIUS Version 3.0.4 worling with EAP-TLS for a
> while now.

  Please don't.  3.0.11 was released recently.  There are few reasons to use a version which is years out of date.

> I was able to get PAP working using the guide
> athttp://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/pap.html.
> However,
> getting EAP-TLS to work has been a pain.

  3.0.11 has a sample config for eapol_test in src/tests/eap-tls.conf.  It should pretty much work.

> In my case I used the freeradius as installed by yum from the repos. Before
> doing the guide at the link posted below I built the certs in
> /etc/raddb/certs using make. No changes have been made to the .cnf files in
> the certs directory since this was a test. The eapol_test config is also
> posted below.

  OK.

> I have used radius as installed on pfsense in the past. However, I now wish
> to have a standalone host to take care of this. I have spent 3 days trying
> to get this to work. I am at a complete loss as what is wrong or how to
> even find out at this point. I have already ran radius with radius -XX and
> am not seeing that I know how to change. I would greatly appreciate some
> help on this. The settings I have used are EXACTLY what i slisted in the
> links.

  That's good...

> eapol_test configuration :
>
> network={
> ssid="TEST-SSID"
> eap=TLS
> eapol_flags=0
> key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
> identity="user at example.com"

  Which is the problem.  If you read the debug output, you'll see it proxying requests.  You probably don't want to do that.

> (0)  suffix : Looking up realm "example.com" for User-Name = "user at example.com"
> (0)  suffix : Found realm "example.com"
> (0)  suffix : Adding Stripped-User-Name = "user"
> (0)  suffix : Adding Realm = "example.com"
> (0)  suffix : Proxying request from user user to realm example.com
> (0)  suffix : Preparing to proxy authentication request to realm "example.com"
> (0)   [suffix] = updated
> (0)  eap : Request is supposed to be proxied to Realm example.com. Not
> doing EAP.

  Which is the issue.

  Change the eapol_test config file to use example.org, and edit proxy.conf to add:

realm example.org {
}

  Which says it's a local realm, and not to be proxied.

  This change is also available in 3.0.11, which is one reason why we suggest using the latest versions.