authenticating against local LDAP and Jumpcloud LDAP

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Feb 16 21:53:40 CET 2016

On Feb 16, 2016, at 2:46 PM, Michael Martinez <mwtzzz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Why not just configure LDAP directly in FreeRADIUS?  The server has done LDAP for oh, 15 years now.
>
> In fact I would like to do this. But I haven't gotten far enough into
> the documentation to know how. Perhaps just uncommenting the ldap
> lines in the authorize section is sufficient.

  More than that.  You have to configure raddb/mods-enabled/ldap with the credentials to your LDAP server.

> There doesn't appear to be any difference, either is simply a basic
> username like "test1" "test2". In the debug output they look like
> this:
> User-Name = "test2"

 That's a problem.  A big one.

  Yes.  Most users should be using email addresses for their identifiers.  i.e. "user at my.domain.tld".  That way you can easily distinguish users from different domain.

> Looking
> through inner-tunnel I see there is a suffix call that tries to
> determine which realm is provided. In my case, the realm is null for
> all users. If I were to create jumpcloud usernames with
> user at something, what would the "suffix" routine do with it, and would
> I be able to test for this in an if statement?

  Yes.  And You'll have to create "jumpcloud" as a LOCAL realm.  See raddb/proxy.conf.

  There are many ways to do this.  The simplest way is to describe what you have, and what you want to do .  We can then help you create the best configuration.