Server certificate renewal

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Mon Jan 11 09:06:02 CET 2016

Hi,

> Trusting a certificate manually is a good thing dont you think? In this way aware clients can be ware of the fact that the server to which they are supplying there credentials is really the "correct" server by looking at the chain, and is not a dummy server which will steal there credentials.

It's a halfways good idea.

It's better then trusting "everything" by just clicking OK to every
warning message the user sees.

Trusting the (one) certificate is acceptable if the user ACTUALLY
COMPARES the fingerprint in the warning message to documentation from
the operator. Only then can the user be sure to connect to the right
server. (Honestly: do you think users actually check the presented
fingerprint values???)

But even if done right, this one-certificate-trust is still inferior to
an actual CA chain verification: exactly as is happening in this thread
- the cert will eventually expire, get replaced, and then the trust is
broken and needs to be re-established.

The better way of configuring this is by using a (very long-lived, i.e.
20 years or more) private CA which issues the server certificates and to
install that CA as trust root in the end user devices.

That way, you can renew certificates from the same CA, and since the CA
is the trust anchor, it does not change. Devices honour that and do not
generate a warning during certificate rollover.

A good way to get CA certificates onto the device in a streamlined
manner is https://802.1x-config.org or, for eduroam identity providers,
https://cat.eduroam.org.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter