Empty packet, socket not ready message

Isaac Boukris iboukris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 16:30:01 CET 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2016, at 8:50 AM, Alex Sharaz <alex.sharaz at york.ac.uk> wrote:
>> After the upgrade I rebuilt FR 2.2.9 and while tings are working, I'm now
>> getting a lot of  Error: Empty packey: socket not ready messages
>
>   That message shows up when the server gets told by the OS that there's data ready, but there ends up being no data when it tries to get the next packet.
>
>   Unfortunately, it's an OS issue.  There is very little that FreeRADIUS can do to work around the fact that the OS is lying to it.
>
>   Try looking for OS upgrades.  Maybe there's a kernel bug.

A long time ago, I had a similar problem with a completely different
protocol / project.
While 'select' was informing that the UDP socket is ready for reading,
a subsequent call to 'recvfrom' was returning EAGAIN.
It turned out that on Linux you may get EAGAIN if the checksum of the
UDP packet was wrong.

So if it sounds similar, you might want to take a look on the traffic
with wireshark (it gives a warning).

HTH