Why is the upgrade documentation is missing from the website??

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Fri Jan 22 15:32:51 CET 2016

Hello,

> /etc/freeradius/sql/mysql/counter.conf[48]: Configuration item "sql_module_instance" must have a value
[...]
> Any ideas what's the problem here?

Isn't that error rather self-explanatory?

> Why did you need to change the syntax at all in version 3?

You must be new to the IT sector. Welcome.

Products evolve over time, and changes are then either necessary or at
least due to not further restrain future development. That's typically
what major version bumps indicate. That's by no means a revelation that
is limited to FreeRADIUS, you'll find it pretty much everywhere.

> Will it be require to change anything in the database schema or I can just use the old databases what I used with freeradius 2???

The default schemata may have changed; and so may the default queries.

If you copy&paste the old queries, then they will match the old
schemata. I for one do not know if this has unwanted side effects; it
would certainly need testing on your side. And then... those schemata
will also have changed for a reason. Maybe they bring new things which
are really cool to have? Only an in-depth look at old vs. new will tell
you if something useful for is in the new version.

NB: I for one did keep my old queries and schema at least for
accounting, and things work. But YMMV!

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--