Multiple FreeRadius servers with one PostgreSQL backend

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jan 22 19:53:00 CET 2016

On Jan 22, 2016, at 1:30 PM, Ruslan Kalakutsky <r.kalakutsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  I'm not sure what you think will happen here.  The SQL queries in FreeRADIUS are just text.  Go read them.  There's nothing in them which is specific to the server which queries the DB.
> I've read them, but I do not know the internal logic of freeradius
> server (yes, I can go throw the freeradius code but I'm not an
> experienced developer).

  I said go through the *queries*, not the *code*.

  If you're going to be doing something unusual with SQL, it would be good to look at the queries which are being used.

> So, just to summarize I can assume that multiple FreeRADIUS servers
> can works with same backend without any issues like deadlocks and they
> do not need any state synchronization.

  Again, this is a *DATABASE* issue.  If you're not clear on that, then you don't know how databases work.

> That's definitely clear. And all servers will be close each other,
> hosted at cloud provider.

  That's no guarantee that the systems are well connected.  It's likely, but not definite.

> The point is to be scalable and reliable. So if I have a separate
> RADIUS I should have a group of RADIUS servers (maybe with auto
> scaling) and  I'd have some load balancer in front of with them (and
> duplicate this LB too) and them should have a virtual IP and so on,
> isn't?

  I didn't say any of that.

> I suppose it will be a more complicated schema than mine.

  If you're going to invent complexity, it's your problem.

  I think you're trying to build a complex system without understanding how the pieces work.  That's going to be a disaster.