New EAP method: EAP-AKA.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jul 7 14:59:58 CEST 2016

On Jul 7, 2016, at 1:16 AM, Mathieu Simon (Lists) <matsimon.lists at simweb.ch> wrote:
> Understandable, especially 2.x and 3.0, how about 3.1.x/3.2?

  Honestly.. Arran and I have been discussing holding off on that.

  The issue is that we still have many, many, people running v2.  And many people running v3 are using versions released 2-3 years ago.

  The main OS vendors upgrade "essential" packages quickly.  Where "essential" means desktop games get updated much more regularly than FreeRADIUS.

  I'd like to have updated packages on packages.networkradius.com.  But... even with automation, it's difficult to keep up to date with every single variant of every single OS out there.

> Is there a timeline where 3.2 is going to be tagged so that
> distributions and porters may start porting it for packaging?

   We don't have a fixed timeline.

  We're working on 4.0 now.  If that makes good progress in the next few months, we might just release 4.0 in October, and skip 3.2 entirely.

  The reason is that it's just too confusing to have many versions available.  Since OS vendors ship an old version of the server for ~5 years, there is a STRONG incentive to release new major versions only once every 3-5 years.  Any more quickly than that, and we're stuck with people using version 2, 3.0, 3.2, and maybe 4.0 / 4.2.  It's just too much.

  Instead, if we can get 4.0 in shape by October, we'll just release that.

  The main difference between 3 and 4 is that 4 will be much more asynchronous.  In our preliminary tests, we can reduce the number of threads, and increase the performance of the server.  A side benefit is that the internals of the server become *much* simpler.  Which means it's easier for a small group of people to maintain / extend it.

> Though I'm pretty happy with the current state of v3.0.x builds by my
> needs but 3.0.12 hasn't yet been tagged.

  I've got to do that real soon now...  There were a few issues reported that I want fixed before 3.0.12.

  And then I don't want to touch 3.0 any more.