New EAP method: EAP-AKA.

Mathieu Simon (Lists) matsimon.lists at simweb.ch
Fri Jul 8 13:18:27 CEST 2016

Hi Alan

(no thread-hijacking was intended, sorry about that)

Am 07.07.2016 um 14:59 schrieb Alan DeKok:
[...]
>   We're working on 4.0 now.  If that makes good progress in the next few months, we might just release 4.0 in October, and skip 3.2 entirely.
Aha, ok so I might as well try keeping an eye on the 4.0.x branch :-)

>   The reason is that it's just too confusing to have many versions available.  Since OS vendors ship an old version of the server for ~5 years,
> there is a STRONG incentive to release new major versions only once
every 3-5 years.  Any more quickly than that, and we're stuck with
people using version 2, 3.0, 3.2, and maybe 4.0 / 4.2.  It's just too much.
In case of those stable/enterprise distribution. Obviously they won't
take care about FR release dates and simply pick what they got at a
point and stick with it for 5-10y of their support timelines.

>   Instead, if we can get 4.0 in shape by October, we'll just release that.
That would be great.

>   The main difference between 3 and 4 is that 4 will be much more asynchronous.
> In our preliminary tests, we can reduce the number of threads, and
increase the performance of the server.
>A side benefit is that the internals of the server become *much* simpler.
Definitely welcomes changes. I think what many admins shy away from is
larger changes in configuration structure. (even it it's meaningful
improvements ...)

If 4.x doesn't include too many changes transitions will be more smooth.

Which means it's easier for a small group of people to maintain / extend it.

>> Though I'm pretty happy with the current state of v3.0.x builds by my
>> needs but 3.0.12 hasn't yet been tagged.
>
>   I've got to do that real soon now...  There were a few issues reported that I want fixed before 3.0.12.
OK, again for what I use it for, it seems pretty robust so props on that.

>   And then I don't want to touch 3.0 any more.
Whenever that final point arrives make it crystal clear. :-)

-- Mathieu