winbind vs ntlm_auth

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Jun 14 09:55:42 CEST 2016

Hi,

> but still, I am confused about  the difference a simple ntlm_auth as an
> authentication method used by winbind, and a 'direct' winbind
> authentication (from a freeradius point of view)!

the old legacy method uses ntlm_auth as an extrenal program to do authentication

the native/direct winbind method uses the winbind libraries so that authentication is
done directly by FreeRADIUS, using a winbind connection pool (just like SQL,LDAP etc)
and not calling/spawning an external program.  result is much much faster authentications and better scaling.

your FR will need to be latest version compiled against recent SAMBA correctly.  unlikely
that such a packge will come from your distro providers right now

alan