rotating detail files

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Fri Jun 17 14:50:54 CEST 2016

Hi,

we want to dump all our requests into files, using the detail module.
The files should be rotated (and archived) with the standard logrotate
tool, which would need the freeradius daemon to to close and reopen the
file (automatically or triggered, e.g. by SIGHUP, like the radius.log).
But I found now way to tell the daemon (or the detail module) to do
that. As I read from the code, this will only happen when the file is
unlinked or nothing was written for 30 seconds. gzip will unlink the
file afterwards, but it will complain about the changed file size during
compression and there is chance of data loss (as something may be
written just before the file is deleted).

I know I can tell the detail module to separate the files by
hour/day/whatever, but that would require significant changes in the
subsequent processing, which I want to avoid (at least for now).

Is there something I have missed? Or do I have to live with that (or
patch the module)?

TIA and regards
Jakob