3.0.11 - all threads blocked in "linelog"

Chaigneau, Nicolas nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com
Wed Jun 22 15:34:43 CEST 2016

Hello,

We've installed on production yesterday FreeRADIUS version 3.0.11 (upgraded from 3.0.8).

Today we've noticed that the server got blocked.
All the threads got blocked on module "linelog", which we can see in the logs:

Wed Jun 22 11:57:11 2016 : Error: (1774170) Ignoring duplicate packet from client *** port 21687 - ID: 186 due to unfinished request in component post-auth module linelog

Then we get lots of the following messages (clients are not happy being ignored):

Wed Jun 22 11:58:18 2016 : Error: (1777300) Ignoring duplicate packet from client *** port 21733 - ID: 5 due to unfinished request in component <core> module <queue>

And a few minutes later, FreeRADIUS queue is full and we get:

Wed Jun 22 12:11:17 2016 : Error: Something is blocking the server.  There are 65536 packets in the queue, waiting to be processed.  Ignoring the new request.

The issue occurred less than one day after rolling out the new FreeRADIUS version (3.0.11).
It never occurred on the previous version (3.0.8) we've been using for more than one year. We've not made any change to our linelog configuration (or to anything else, except for the FreeRADIUS version upgrade).

So I'm suspecting this is related to FreeRADIUS.

I've noticed the following commit related to locking (which is configurable for detail, but not linelog):

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/commit/dd2a06aa6ba8d6b819712a5008213d3d28375158

Note that I didn't see anything wrong with the code, just noticed the "locking" part which made me suspicious... maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to get your opinion.

Could the locking be responsible for the behaviour we've observed ?
Should we patch our linelog to force "locking" to false ?

Also, I think FreeRADIUS threads should never get blocked forever when trying to acquire a lock. (if that's what is happening)

Regards,
Nicolas.