Linelog - timestamps

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jun 23 15:36:57 CEST 2016

On Jun 22, 2016, at 9:13 PM, Pshem Kowalczyk <pshem.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've started using the linelog module to record various events that happen
> within the radius system. All of our linelog entries start with "%t" to
> denote the time of the event. During one of the troubleshooting sessions
> we've discovered that the entries don't necessarily end up in the order we
> expected them to.

  The entries are written sequentially, so they are in time order.

> Finally we realised that the "%t" is the time the request
> hits radius and not when the linelog entry is processed. In our case (we
> proxy all requests) that actually matters, since the home servers can take
> time to respond. I had a look through the dictionaries and
> run-time-variables but can't find 'current timestamp', is it actually
> available?

  For various reasons.. no.

  If your proxies take more than a second to respond, there's something seriously broken with them.  That should be fixed rather than poking FreeRADIUS to have more up to date timestamps.

  Why do you need wall-clock timestamps?