Parse error for non-hex characters in users file

Derek Wuelfrath dwuelfrath at inverse.ca
Wed May 11 16:38:48 CEST 2016

Hello list,

Working with a FreeRADIUS 2.2.8 (I know, it’s “old” but for the moment, upgrade is not really a possible way) I am getting the following error when trying to start radiusd.

Error: Parse error (check) for entry my_awesome_username: Non-hex characters at gX

The users file specified by the error message does contains some “hex characters” as the “hashed password” for a user entry.

ie:
“my_awesome_username” MD5-Password := “0X………"

It looks to me like FreeRADIUS is trying to interpret the password as an hexadecimal value and then breaks…

I found out that there may be a fix for this exact “issue” introduced in FreeRADIUS 3.0.6 (https://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2015-February/075885.html <https://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2015-February/075885.html>)
Handle NT-Hash in rlm_pap.  This allows passwords to
	  have backslashes in them.
I was wondering if someone could point me to the patch file / the fix itself so that I can evaluate if it is something possible to port that fix onto my 2.2.8 version.

Thanks!

Cheers!
-dw.

—