Adding additional password encryption options

Laurens Vets laurens at daemon.be
Wed May 25 18:39:08 CEST 2016

Hello list,

Is it possible to add additional password encryption options to
FreeRADIUS so that the user database can be used as a user/password
store (For instance PBKDF2 or scrypt)?

When I look at "man rlm_pap", the amount of encryption options for
passwords are limited when FreeRADIUS is your only user database. I'm
creating a POC where users can register for an account to use certain
services (accessible via radius authentication) and I'm trying to only
use the FreeRADIUS mysql database as a backend to keep it simple, but
the password encryption methods aren't considered secure by today's
standards.

Short of maintaining 2 databases with user information, how are people
on the list handling these cases or is my use case a bit out of the
ordinary?