FreeRadius-Response-Delay

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Thu May 26 09:02:25 CEST 2016

Hi,

We use a pair of BNGs to provide redundancy. The BNGs terminate PPPoE and
now also IPoE sessions. Since dropping a large number of subs is disruptive
we tend to use PADO-delay for the PPPoE ones to move them slowly from one
BNG to the other - we set the delay about week in advance. There is no such
option for IPoE since the BNG starts to build the session bindings
(including querying radius) as soon as it sees either DHCP or ARP packets.
If I could delay the accept on one BNG then the other one would've built
the bindings and allowed DHCP through (or responded to ARP). This would
effectively start moving the sessions onto the other BNG.

I realise I can call an external script (exec bash with sleep 5 or sth) but
it doesn't feel like an elegant solution (not to mention the load this will
cause).

kind regards
Pshem