DHCP with static IPs and EAP

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Nov 5 16:34:33 CET 2016

On Nov 5, 2016, at 9:50 AM, Toby Walsh <walshtj at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to Freeradius. I'm trying to set up a back-end to talk nicely with
> a pfSense router and walking through various tutorials and doco pages. I
> had EAP working nicely but wanted to use DHCP and assign static IPs to
> devices based on MAC stored in either mac2ip or mysql (mostly mysql since
> that's what I'm trying to use for config).

  That should be relatively easy.

> I get to a stage where, after following the DHCP tutorial I set
> sql_user_name = "%{DHCP-Client-Hardware-Address}". This works for the
> purpose of assigning an IP, I assume. But then when FR tries to
> authenticate EAP, it uses sql_user_name as a query into the radcheck table
> and by that stage sql_user_name has been set to '' (an empty string) by the
> EAP process I presume. So my EAP user name is ignored and the
> authentication fails.

  It helps to have clear requirements.  Your first paragraph says you want DHCP, but then now you're saying EAP doesn't work.  Saying the *full* requirements up front would be much better than springing new requirements part-way through the description.

  What you probably need to do (I'm guessing, because you didn't really describe your requirements), is to set up *two* SQL modules:

# normal RADIUS sql module
sql {

# and an SQL module for DHCP
#
sql sql_dhcp {

  The "sql_dhcp" module should initially be copied from "sql", and then modified to work with DHCP.

  Then, in the DHCP virtual server, use "sql_dhcp" instead of "sql".  And in the RADIUS virtual server, use "sql".

  Using two different configurations like this means that they don't conflict with each other.