Matching a prefix in huntgroups file

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Nov 11 12:50:46 CET 2016

On Nov 11, 2016, at 6:05 AM, Brian Candler <b.candler at pobox.com> wrote:

>>   Numerical IPv4 addresses have large overlap with hostnames.
> Is there a RADIUS data type for "hostname" which is not a string? I could not find it in "man dictionary"

  Are you really going to claim that you *don't* want the server to accept host names on input, and turn them into IP addresses?

>            The type field can be one of the standard types:

  Quoting the text I wrote back at me isn't helpful.  I know it already.

> Put another way: how is a hostname distinct from a string? Is there any location in unlang where you would want to use a bare hostname, where you couldn't enclose it in double-quotes to make it a string?

  Sure, if you want to treat host names as *strings*, and not have them converted to addresses.

  i.e. hostnames *are* addresses after they're parsed.

  Please go write a parser which accepts anything as input, and determines which data type it is. Once you've done that, you can claim it's easy, and tell me how to do it.

  Or, read the code, to see how FreeRADIUS makes it's decisions.  And then describe how to make the code better, with patches, and showing how it doesn't classify the input wrong.

  The option you should *not* take is to make suggestions without understanding the problem space.  I've said repeatedly it's not a trivial problem.  You keep coming up with simple solutions, and asking why they won't work.

  I've been trying to explain why it won't work.  It's not trivial.  It's time for you to understand why it won't work... by going and trying to do it yourself.