External, non-RADIUS databases

J Kephart jkephart at safetynetaccess.com
Mon Oct 10 23:22:20 CEST 2016

I have two different FR deployments, one running a MySQL database, the
other Postgres.  Those are working as they should.  The requirement we
have is that, on each of them, we need to be able to connect a captive
portal server so that we can query a non-radius database for a specific
boolean value that will determine whether or not radius will execute a
set of instructions.

Is the process for this as simple as defining the main (radius)
instance, and then a second instance for the external database (e.g.,
sql sqlinstance1 { ... }, sql sqlinstance2 { ... }), with the
appropriate connection information for both, and then changing the sql
stuff in auth... and accounting sections to use sqlinstance1 for radius
queries, and sqlinstance2 for the external database?  If I'm reading the
docs on rlm_mysql correctly, I'm thinking it is, but I just want to
confirm it, as we've not done anything beyond a basic deployment as yet.

Thanks for any advice!

Jim