replication to multiple servers with proxy

Alan Batie alan at peak.org
Thu Sep 8 19:58:07 CEST 2016

On 9/7/16 1:55 PM, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> you cant do it simply like this (with current versions).  there are
> several virtual servers shipped with the server that you could use...
> so 'copy-acct-to-home-server' is an ideal example
>
> "#	The purpose of this virtual server is to enable duplication
> #	of information across a load-balanced, or fail-over set of
> #	servers.  For example, if a group of clients lists two
> #	home servers (primary, secondary), then RADIUS accounting
> #	messages will go only to one server at a time.  This file
> #	configures a server (primary, secondary) to send copies of
> #	the accounting information to each other."
>

> yes?

I'm using that example, however apparently it can only choose one (this
is a replication situation, not a failover or load-balance situation).
There are two workarounds:

1.  Chain them: server1 -> server2 -> server3
2.  Get the radrelay client from freeradius v1 and do it the old, simple
way, with a detail file and radrelay instance for each copy.

Since "server3" in my case is a vendor server and I would have had to
get them to change their configuration (to allow packets from a new
client), I picked #2 in this case.