TLS certificates authorities.

Bogdan Rudas brudas at exadel.com
Fri Sep 9 10:05:03 CEST 2016

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Stefan Winter <stefan.winter at restena.lu>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Could you please clarify you warning regarding client configuration? Some
> > systems allow my EAP-TTLS+PAP configuration out of the box, do you mean
> in
> > could be insecure? Are there any way to prevent client authentication
> > unless it have my CA installed?
>
> The TLS channel is the only line of defence against credential theft. If
> users choose to ignore security warnings related to the certificate,
> anyone can present an arbitrary certificate and the user's device will
> merrily deliver the password in cleartext to anyone who's asking.
>
> The situation is *slightly* less critical with TTLS-MSCHAPv2 or PEAP
> because at least they only transmit the NTHash of the user's password,
> not the cleartext.
>
> NTHash can meanwhile be broken rather trivially though, so this won't
> stop a determined attacker.
>
> Getting the cert validation done right really is the only working
> repellant against rogue AP+rogue RADIUS server attacks.

Thank you, Stefan.
This is clear for me. Are there are any EAP flavor that uses strong hash
and can handle SSID spoofing well?

--
Bogdan Rudas
Head of Minsk IT Support Department
E-mail: brudas at exadel.com
Skype ID: bogdan.rudas

--

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and files attached to it are
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified