Metrics and timings

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 19:26:37 CEST 2016

Hi,

> > On Sep 16, 2016, at 12:34 PM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
> >
> >  We'll be adding metrics to each individual module, along with a way to export them.
>
> That is great news.
> I guess it may be the end of questions to which the answer always is “fix your database”.
>
> But then again, people would have to actually look at the metrics for that to be true...

you can get timing info witha  few more x's added to radiusd -X - I've seen some scripts
around that will take those values and tell you how long each module took.... obviously,
a single radiusd -X isnt really going to be stressing DB etc...but if you ran hot radiusd
and alongside, ran another instance connecting to same systems etc but listening on different
port with full debug with times you could geta  good indicitive guide of what each module
is doing and trend view of where issue might be.

you can also do the same using eg tcpdump and network performance analysis on the response
times from remote connections....

built in metrics with reporting methods is definately the cleaner/direct and less hacky way

alan