[Spam?] Re: FYI, I gave up on eap-tls for OS X and ios.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Apr 2 23:01:39 CEST 2017

On Apr 2, 2017, at 3:45 PM, John Tobin <jtobin at po-box.esu.edu> wrote:

> This is kind of unnecessary, but:
>
> I would not write to this list with any problems, if I didn’t assume there
> were some people Who were an authority on this list.

  Then why are you arguing with the answers you get on this list?

> I work with a number of colleagues who are also well meaning and
> knowledgeable on some of these topics.
>
> They forwarded to me the URL:
> https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/706/
>
> I was only able to get the video to run on my mac under safari, Firefox
> and Crome had problems, so I would recommend safari to view it.
> It was put out last year as a security update [2016]: about 10 minutes in
> it goes over Apples new philosophy about certificates.
> With my Colleagues expertise [this is a bit above my head] I am lead to
> believe self signed certs [that aren’t logged] will not work.
> If there is a work around for this problem or this should not affect free
> radius:
> Sure, tell me I am [once again] incorrect.

  What I said was correct.  I use a Mac to develop FreeRADIUS.  Every day I I log into a WiFi network secured with EAP-TTLS, and certificates created using the methods in the FreeRADIUS source.

  ... as I said before.

> I am a part time student who is part of the helpdesk, and the default sys
> admin for a small linux lab I have built from spare parts and used
> computers for the computer science group at East Stroudsburg University.

  Which means you should pay close attention to the advice on this list, instead of ignoring it.

> I have struggled to get free radius up and running for the lab, and
> frankly don’t have time to argue with experts,

  Then why are you still arguing?  Install FreeRADIUS.  Use the certificates it creates.  It *will* work.

  Or at least... it's worked for everyone else.  Maybe your network is magic.

> I am trying to get this lab
> running. I struggled with eap-tls on apple products and gave up, that
> doesn’t mean it doesn’t work: I think that falls more along the lines of
> it wasn’t simple and took more time than I had. If that makes me less than
> competent, that’s fair.

  <shrug>  Install FreeRADIUS, create the CA / server / client certs.  The hardest part of the process is getting an Apple mobileconfig file.

> I changed the EAP profile for os x to support peap, which works.

  Then create a client cert using the same CA, and EAP-TLS will work.

> I am not
> using tls currently, that may change.
>
> Thanks for the opportunity to know I am not the expert you are. In future
> I may need some of your expertise, so I don’t need to make enemies.
>
> Humble pie has a special flavor all it’s own.
> Love you all. [you can smile now].

  I have no idea why people feel the need to explain how terrible FreeRADIUS is, when at the same time they're ignoring the advice we give.