User authentication for remote NAS'?

wefwe fewfew totallimpbizkit at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 10:52:02 CEST 2017

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

I went with Brian's advise and started small.

By adding the NAS-ID attribute to the user I can limit access from a certain ID regardless of the IP in my test setup. This is not how I eventually want it to be but it will do for now.

Second problem I'm running into is accounting. I have no idea how get this to work.

I thought it would be fairly straight forward to have freeradius check daily/weekly/monthly/total time online/data used and allow/disconnect a user based on that.

But I can't get the data usage part to work. I sent to total limit attribute as supported by my NAS (mikrotik) which works fine on a per sessions basis but not when disconnecting. Even if I could get it to work, does COA really require a IP to be set or can I use a variable as well? The NAS IP will be dynamic. I tried setting variables but that gave an error about being unable to send a request to the NAS port (even though it gave the right IP. I don't have access to my test setup right now so I'll send the log output later).

The biggest problem I'm having is with the documentation. All information is spread over the Internet over the past decade with bits and pieces everywhere but nowhere there is documentation that tells you though from all the question asked online it seems like a lot of users have problems with it.

Long story short is that I want FR/mysql to check how long a user is still allowed online or how much bandwidth he has left and reject access/disconnect a user based on that.