Accounting Packets and Anonymous Identity

Selahattin Cilek selahattin_cilek at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 5 05:14:35 CET 2017

On 05.02.2017 01:44, Adam Bishop wrote:
> On 4 Feb 2017, at 21:45, Selahattin Cilek <selahattin_cilek at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I know. I know I can't prevent them from configuring their own
>> machines as they like. That is not what I am asking.
> I'm not sure what you're asking then. The username is logged as "anonymous" because the user has typed in "anonymous". FreeRADIUS logs what the NAS and the client send.
>
> If you don't accounting packets to contain "anonymous" you can:
>   * reject their authentication.
>   * configure your NAS to send something more meaningful
>
> There's no secret SQL query - if the user sends "anonymous", and your NAS is configured to use that "anonymous" in accounting, then FreeRADIUS will log "anonymous", and any SQL query will return "anonymous".
That is what I wanted to know, thank you. The NAS is a Unifi AP and does
not let me configure EAP behaviour. It is not very successful in RADIUS
accounting. Since I can't make the NAS behave the way I want, my only
option is to configure RADIUS to the best of my ability.

> If explain your problem further (e.g. why is correlating the Calling-Station-ID in accounting logs to the one in your auth log insufficient) people can probably help further - but you've given precious little information.
The problem is that if RADIUS does not know who is using how much, it
wont be able to keep track of network usage and therefore enforce
quotas. Somehow, I need to find out what the true user name is. What can
I do with a packet labelled "anonymous"? I made a promise to the owner
of the site, but have failed to deliver because of the NAS.

> Regards,
>
> Adam Bishop
>
>    gpg: E75B 1F92 6407 DFDF 9F1C  BF10 C993 2504 6609 D460
>
> jisc.ac.uk
>
> Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No. GB 197 0632 86. Jisc’s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill, Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.
>
> Jisc Services Limited is a wholly owned Jisc subsidiary and a company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under company number 2881024, VAT number GB 197 0632 86. The registered office is: One Castle Park, Tower Hill, Bristol BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.
>

> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

---