Update on 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2.

Nikolai Kondrashov Nikolai.Kondrashov at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 09:34:47 CET 2017

Hi Alan,

On 05/27/2016 04:45 PM, Alan DeKok wrote:
> On May 27, 2016, at 4:56 AM, Nikolai Kondrashov <Nikolai.Kondrashov at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Is there still a chance to get my pull request through? This one:
>>
>>    https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/pull/1592
>
>   That's a patch which is very OS-specific.  I think it's best left for the individual OS packagers.
>
>   i.e. it's not needed elsewhere, so I'm wary of including it in the server.
>
>   If the patch could go into the "redhat/" directory, and be applied prior to a RedHat build, that would be best.

I had some time to return to this, and I'd like to argue for inclusion of this
patch again.

First, this is not very OS-specific. This is a problem on all Linux distros.
The version-less libraries are only for development, and at runtime you
shouldn't expect them to be present and load the fully-versioned library
instead.

For example, on Debian Testing, without libpython2.7-dev installed, I get the
same issue:

	  # Instantiating module "python" from file /etc/freeradius/3.0/mods-enabled/python
	Python version: 2.7.13 (default, Jan 19 2017, 14:48:08)  [GCC 6.3.0 20170118]
	Failed loading libpython symbols into global symbol table: libpython2.7.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Second, even if we add it as a build-time patch, it will be a pain to maintain,
especially since it touches "configure" and "config.h.in" files, which are
generated.

I'll rebase my patch and will wait for your answer.

Thank you.

Nick