Max length for User-Name

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jan 27 16:42:41 CET 2017

On Jan 27, 2017, at 10:26 AM, Joe Friedeggs <friedeggs44 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me the limiting factor of the User-Name here should only the 'length' field, which is one octet, therefore limiting the User-Name string to 255 charaters (minus overhead?).  Why is the UserName in the table limited to 64 characters?  What is the reasoning behind this?  Is there some other limiting factor?  I have a case where we need to use longer user names.

  The configuration files and SQL schema are text.  You can edit them.

  The limitation of 64 characters is there largely for databases which allocate a 64-byte entry for a user name, even if only 10 are used.  If your database is smarter, change the column to be variable length.  The rest of the server won't care.