Update on v4

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jul 4 03:47:53 CEST 2017

On Jul 3, 2017, at 9:40 PM, Arran Cudbard-Bell <a.cudbardb at freeradius.org> wrote:

> One of the major, fundamental, changes in v4.0.x was to remove the old proxying framework.  home servers, pools, realms and even proxy.conf have all been removed in favour of unhang.
>
> The hope is that this will make for a much shallower learning curve, as proxying is now just the same as querying an SQL database, or calling a REST API.

  It will unfortunately confuse the heck out of everyone who's use proxy.conf since version 0. :(

  Much apologies to everyone, but it's the only way to get other features in.  We can always glue in proxy.conf via other methods...

  What's now possible in unlang:

	load-balance {
		home_server1
		home_server2
		home_server3
	}

  Which is different than the old way, but means it's all just Unlang.

  Or fail-over:

	redundant {
		home_server1
		home_server2
		home_server3
	}

  What's now trivial is this:

authenticate pap {
	pap
	if (!ok) {
		home_server1

  i.e. auth locally, and if that fails, proxy it.

  Or this:

recv Accounting-Request {
	home_server1			# proxy here
	home_server2			# and then here
	home_server3			# and finally here.
}

  Those two examples were *impossible* before.  They're now trivial.