TTLS+PAP with Windows

cedric delaunay cedric.delaunay at univ-rennes1.fr
Thu Mar 16 09:12:54 CET 2017

Le 15/03/2017 à 14:31, Alan DeKok a écrit :
> On Mar 15, 2017, at 6:00 AM, Herman Øie Kolden <herman at samfundet.no> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:53:39AM +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>>
>>> In general, you should use self-signed certificates for 802.1x (EAP)
>>> authentication. When you list root CAs from other organizations in the
>>> "CA_file", you permit them to masquerade as you,
>> Why is this a concern for EAP, but not for regular web certificates?
>    Because you don't own google.com.  So you don't care (so much) if someone else masquerades as google.com.  In fact, you have *no idea* who "google.com" really is.  All you know is that there's a certificate from a CA, which says that this site is really "google.com".
>
>    For most web browsing, that's good enough.  The CA is pre-provisioned on your machine, which means you trust the CA, and then trust them to say who google really is.
>
>    For EAP, you own the site, so you *do* care who else can masquerade as you.  By using a self-signed CA and provisioning it on the users machines, you're sure that no one else can pretend to be you.

I Alan,
I'm not really aware about these subjects so excuse my question if it's
a newbie one
Reading this, what do you propose if we don't have any access to
client's machine (students or autonomous users) ? I can't provision
anything on them, just announce a valid server certificate.
Thanks
Cedric

--
Cédric Delaunay			Direction des Systèmes d'Informations
Equipe Réseau & Telephonie	263, Avenue du Général Leclerc

Pour toute demande utiliser l'aide et assistance via l'ENT à l'adresse
http://ent.univ-rennes1.fr