iOS mysterious issues on Freeradius 3.0.14

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Mar 22 16:37:33 CET 2017

On Mar 22, 2017, at 7:39 AM, Igor Sousa <igorvolt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've read a lot messages in Freeradius Forum and I continued misunderstand
> why iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) doesn't connect in my WPA-Enterprise wifi
> network. I've installed and configured a freeradius server, version 3.0.14,
> over openssl 1.1.0e (both have installed from sources on Debian 8). I've
> tested connect Android devices to my wifi network and everytime they can
> connect to the network, but iOS devices have mysterious issues.

  iOS may be magic... Apple doesn't talk to anyone else, so that doesn't help.

> When I try connect iOS device to my wifi in first time, they can connect
> perfectly. Though, if this same iOS device lost connection (because it's
> out of range AP signal or air plane mode turn on by the user for 30 minutes
> or hours) and try connect again the device doesn't connect.

  Maybe it's related to session resumption?  Have you turned that off?

> When I've saw
> the debug mode, I've noticed that EAP-PEAP tunnel athentication was
> successful and server sent Access-Challenge, but device doesn't answer this
> challenge. I don't understand why the android devices doesn't this issues.

  No idea.  I know that many, many, universities are using FreeRADIUS with iOS, so it *should* work.

> Wed Mar 22 07:33:50 2017 : Debug: Waking up in 1.1 seconds.
> Wed Mar 22 07:33:50 2017 : Debug: (17) Received Access-Request Id 8 from
> 10.41.17.64:1042 to 10.41.110.86:1812 length 255

  PLEASE follow the instructions, and use "radiusd -X".  Doing "-Xx" just makes the debug output harder to read.