Problems with "virtual_server" for EAP-pwd

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Mar 27 17:04:41 CEST 2017

On Mar 27, 2017, at 10:14 AM, Christian Strauf <strauf at rz.tu-clausthal.de> wrote:

> For our eduroam setup we use FreeRADIUS to authenticate EAP-TTLS, PEAP as well as EAP-pwd requests. For each of these EAP types you have to configure the "virtual_server" which deals with the tunneled authentication (which is a little odd with respect to EAP-pwd because it isn't a tunneled method).

  The comments in the configuration for EAP-PWD explain why this is done.  They also explain how it works.

> Within the "inner-tunnel*" virtual servers we connect to an LDAP server to get the user credentials and RADIUS attributes that are associated with a specific user.

  The documentation for the EAP-PWD method says that for it's inner-tunnel, only the "authorize" section is run, and the only purpose of the "authorize" is to obtain the password for the user.

  i.e. the inner-tunnel reply isn't used for anything.  So you shouldn't get any RADIUS attributes associated with a user.

> It looks like the eap_pwd module doesn't receive the reject generated within the authorize section of the inner-tunnel virtual server. Please note that EAP-pwd authentication per se works without any problems. Furthermore, I perfectly understand that only the authorize section of the inner-tunnel virtual server is used by EAP-pwd anyhow (it's simply used to retrieve credentials). However, it's not clear to me why the exact same configuration works for EAP-TTLS / PEAP but not for EAP-pwd

  The EAP-TTLS "inner-tunnel" behaves in one way, and is documented as behaving that way.

  The EAP-PWD "inner-tunnel" behaves in a different way, and is documented as behaving that way.

  That should be clear.

> because other things that we do within the authorize section (like setting RADIUS attributes that are used in the outer session etc.) work. I was thinking about working around the problem by doing something like
>
> update outer.session-state { ... }
>
> to generate a reject within the outer session.

  Or, as per the EAP-PWD documentation... just don't return a password in the inner tunnel?

> Do you have any suggestions what the right way would be to work around this?

  Read the documentation and believe it.  Don't configure the server based on how you *think* it might work.  Configure the server based on how it *actually* works, and how it's documented as working.

> Apart from a workaround, do you think this could be a bug in the EAP-pwd module?

  It's behaving as documented.

> I tried to read the source code but I'm not a programmer and I couldn't figure out how the EAP-pwd module works differently from the EAP-TTLS and PEAP modules with respect to how it works with inner-tunnel virtual servers. Any help would be highly appreciated.

  The behaviour difference is documented.

  If you want to get reply attributes for a user, put the rules into the "post-auth" section of the outer tunnel.