Correlating request and accept/reject log?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Mar 31 15:35:49 CEST 2017

On Mar 31, 2017, at 8:33 AM, jm+freeradiususer at roth.lu wrote:

>>> Hmm, you mean "%I" (request ID)? (-->
>>> https://wiki.freeradius.org/config/run_time_variables)
>
>> No.
>
> Yes you do.

  If you know better than me, why are you asking questions on this list?

> It means that in order to get a log with the information I want I tried
> using the header statement in the detail log definition like so:
>  header = "%t %n"
> }
>
> However, freeradius then starts rejecting every request.

  If only there was some kind of debug log to tell you WHY it was doing things...

  The problem here is that the information you need is in front of you.  But instead of reading it, you ask vague questions on the list.  And then argue with the answers.

  You should learn to ask better questions, and to not argue with the experts.

>> That's easy to do
>
> Ok :) How? If you could kindly direct me to the appropriate docs. In fact,
> if you could kindly direct me to a single point of exhausting docs with
> examples please.

  No.

  Just... no.

  Why?  Because everything *is* documented.  It requires you to read the documentation, understand it, and put the pieces together yourself.

  There simple will NEVER be examples for every single thing that everyone wants to do.  One, it's sheer laziness for you to ask that.  And two, such examples would be infinite.

  It's much better to document how everything works, and then to rely on people to read that documentation.

>>> filename =
>>> ${radacctdir}/%{%{Packet-Src-IP-Address}:-%{Packet-Src-IPv6-Address}}/auth-detail-%Y%m%d
>
>> See all of the %-things here?  Add %n.  It's that easy.   Each request
> will be logged to it's own filename.
>
> I don't want one file per request.

  You didn't say what you wanted.  That would have been helpful.

  Instead, you posted examples of the detail file, so I gave you answers about the detail file.

  If you want good answers, ask good questions.

> I want (ideally) one file that contains
> one line per request/action taken,

  See the "linelog" module.  It does exactly this.

  And no, I'm not going to spoon-feed you to say how to add %n to the linelog messages.  It should be pretty clear from the examples.

> much like the file generated by using
> the "requests" statement in the virtual server's log{} section. However
> the virtual server's log section

  The virtual server doesn't have a "log" section.