FW: Freeraius vs NPS

Martin, Jeremy jmartin at emcc.edu
Thu May 4 22:28:39 CEST 2017

Hello

I am trying to replace a NPS server with freeradius implantation but I am running into a hurdle that basically equates to a go/no go senerio for the project. When NPS (Microsoft Network Policy Server) denies my clients (in this case ip phones) they prompt the user to enter credentials - required for initial setup.  However when I take the same device and deny it with freeradius, basically no username and password for the device it does not prompt for no credentials so there is basically no way to setup the device.  What I would like to do is replicate the behavior NPS.  I am including the screenshot: left is nps - right is freereadius of the reject packet, I can't seem to tell what would cause this over the other so hopefully someone has some insight.  I don't think that it maters for this question but the freeradius version is 3.0.4 on Centos 7.  Everything is default, clean install except for the client definition for the switch.

I am also including the entire packet capture just in case it helps.

Thanks
Jeremy