sql failover

Richard J Palmer richard at merula.net
Mon May 15 02:38:02 CEST 2017

Hi there...

This may be a simple question but I am a little stuck.

We are using mssql as a backend for a radius server - this generally
works fine.

A new mirror server was recently installed and I am trying to create
redundancy within freeradius - However I have a problem to which I am
not sure of the answer

I have created sql1 and sql2 One pointing to the primary server - the
second to the backup

the config loads OK etc however with the current mirror setup only one
of the two SQL servers will allow the radius databases to be accessed.
The other when connected gives 'Database 'radius' cannot be opened. It
is in the middle of a restore.' At this point the radius server stops

IF I use the odbc driver I can set the radius database to be blank AND
set the table names to be radius..<table name> BUT If I leave the
database name blank in the freetds driver I get 'rlm_sql_freetds:
Server msg from "<Server Name>": severity(102), number(15), origin(1),
layer(1), procedure "none": Incorrect syntax near ';'.'  Which I
assume is from when it is trying to select the database.

Can you confirm if there is a way to work with the current SQL setup ?

Thanks!

Richard Palmer