sql failover

Richard J Palmer richard at merula.net
Mon May 15 15:13:30 CEST 2017

Hi

I think this is where I am going wrong.

The aim is I want FR to handle the failover - We should be using the
primary SQL server at all times UNLESS it fails.

MS SQL is set as a mirrored pair (nothing to do with FR) the 'Live'
Server will answer queries - the backup will allow connections BUT the
queries will fail.
IF the primary fails the backup automatically allows queries and the
primary will not

>From https://wiki.freeradius.org/config/Fail-over
I have set

redundant {
    # try module sql1
          sql1
          # if that's down, try module sql2
          sql2
          # otherwise drop the request as
          # it's been "handled" by the "always"
          # module (see doc/rlm_always)
          handled
    }

Within the authenticate / authorise / accounting / postauth sections

The issue is the startup of the modules that is causing the issue
given that the Database on sql2 is not available unless it is the
'live' server

With regards to

>> IF I use the odbc driver I can set the radius database to be blank AND
>> set the table names to be radius..<table name> BUT If I leave the
>> database name blank in the freetds driver I get 'rlm_sql_freetds:
>> Server msg from "<Server Name>": severity(102), number(15), origin(1),
>> layer(1), procedure "none": Incorrect syntax near ';'.' Which I assume
>> is from when it is trying to select the database.
>
>   Sounds like and ODBC syntax error to me.
This is because the database is not available on the backup server -
so the select db to radius fails. Using the unixodbc driver I can
leave the database name to blank - and edit the table names to eg
radius..radacct for example - but with the freetds driver if I leave
the database name blank It seems to be trying the select anyway which
fails - as the db name is blank. For now I have changed to using
unixodbc.

It is totally possible I have the wrong end of the stick somewhere -
If I have misunderstood / read this I am always happy for some
pointers.

Richard