FreeRadius high availability lab

Norman Elton normelton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 22:14:03 CET 2017

It's interesting to read this, as the suggestions mirror what I've
learned over the years.

This is on a single university campus, so everything is geographically
local. But we have two DCs, a FreeRADIUS server in each. The servers
each have a floating "primary" address, which magically floats to the
other box using keepalived. So if Server A fails, Server B adopts
failed IP address. NAS's (in our case, switches & APs) never have to
deal with failover. Makes things SO much smoother. Holy cow was this a
"lightbulb moment".

We have a database as the "authoritative record", but everything is
Redis-cached on each FreeRADIUS server. It's a bit of a chore to keep
the cache synchronized, but it means that FreeRADIUS is completely
self-sufficient. We use rlm_perl to read this cache when responding to
requests, and to log accounting updates back to the Redis cache. There
are helper scripts (on other servers) which grab those updates and log
them to the database. If there is a flurry of updates, then the Redis
cache queues up for a few seconds while the database catches up. But
FreeRADIUS chugs along, even if the database server completely blows
up. This happened for the first time 2 weeks ago. RAID controller
died. The Redis cache queued up all the requests until we got the
backup database server online. Fun times.

I'm curious if rlm_redis + unlang would be more performant than
rlm_perl + perl script. Haven't had time to test this yet.

Norman