EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2 with Python Module

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Thu Nov 9 01:12:06 CET 2017

On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 16:53 -0700, Gary Gwin wrote:
> I've configured and tested the EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2 basic example as
> documented with FreeRADIUS 3.0.12 using a Windows 10 supplicant
> configured for WPA2 Enterprise.

OK...

> Instead of using the FreeRADIUS users file for authentication, I want
> to use a custom Python module in the inner-tunnel (I presume) to
> authenticate the user with a REST API.

Have you looked at rlm_rest? It might be a better solution.

What information does the rest API give you? Or what are you expecting
to send to it to check?

> 1) How do I know in the Python module when to get in the middle of
> the
> multi-step eap authentication without causing problems?

I don't understand what this means.

If you call rlm_python in the the authenticate section of the inner-
tunnel, then it'll be at the right time to do the authentication.

> 2) How do I get the User-Password?

You can't.

> I've seen posts that suggest the User-Password might be sent
> encrypted in the EAP-Message. If that's the case:
>
> 3) How do I know how to decrypt the EAP-Message?

You can't get the plain text password from the EAP-Message.

> 4) Anything else I need to know?

You need the password in plaintext on the RADIUS server, or the NT hash
of it.

Nothing else will be able to authenticate MSCHAP requests.

See http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

--
Matthew