max_requests variable in radiusd.conf

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Nov 9 15:18:24 CET 2017

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Claudio Carvalho <claudio at nextdigitalservices.com.br> wrote:
>
> Using the phrase "The maximum number of requests which the server keeps track of", my first understanding is that somehow the freeradius daemon is doing let's say in memory a control of the opening and closing of sessions

  No.

  If I had meant too use the word "sessions", I would have used the word "sessions".

  The server receives *packets*.  The "max_requests" refers to *packets*.  It does not refer to *sessions*.

  I tried to make this clear in my previous message, when I said sessions go into the DB.  Apparently not enough...

  Stop trying to force FreeRADIUS to fit your ideas.  Your ideas about how it works are wrong.  The documentation describes how FreeRADIUS works.

> "track of", you are saying this does not happen, everything is done through the information of the database enabling the use of multiple servers, right?

  I have no idea what that means.

  FreeRADIUS stores accounting data (i.e. user sessions) in a database.  You can configure two RADIUS servers to talk to the same database.

  This isn't complex.  There's no magic involved.

> "The maximum number of requests which the server keeps track of. This should be 256 multiplied by the number of clients. e.g. With 4 clients, this number should be 1024"

  Is there any reason you're quoting the config files?  Do you think I haven't seen that before?