Unable to start RADIUS (Permissions)

Smith, James james.smith at saabsensis.com
Wed Nov 15 18:15:51 CET 2017

Hello,
I've attached output from a radius -X command in a text file to provide more information as to what's going on.

I'm receiving the following error:
 # Instantiating module "files" from file /etc/raddb/mods-enabled/files
  files {
        filename = "/etc/raddb/mods-config/files/authorize"
Unable to open file "/etc/raddb/mods-config/files/authorize": Permission denied
  }
/etc/raddb/mods-enabled/files[9]: Invalid configuration for module "files"

For /etc/raddb/mods-config/files/authorize I tried to make the permissions r-w-x for root and radius group and read for all other users... so 774 but I'm not having any luck getting radius to start. When I try to give full permission for testing (777), I get the same error.

I also tried to change /etc/raddb/mods-available/files to 777 just to test and I receive the following:

Configuration file /etc/raddb/mods-enabled/files is globally writable.  Refusing to start due to insecure configuration.
Errors reading or parsing /etc/raddb/radiusd.conf

Makes sense since it's insecure.

Hopefully there is enough information to pin point what's actually going on.

Thanks,
Jim

This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain information that is company confidential or privileged. Any technical data in this message may be exported only in accordance with the U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (22 CFR Parts 120-130) or the Export Administration Regulations (15 CFR Parts 730-774). Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message. If you have received this email in error, please delete it, and advise the sender immediately.