PEAP correct client certificate

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Nov 20 22:31:39 CET 2017

On Nov 20, 2017, at 4:27 PM, Brian Julin <BJulin at clarku.edu> wrote:
> Oh... are you talking about setting the EAP-TLS-Require-Client-Cert control item?

  Yes.

> If so, the problem with that is:  how do you know when to do that?

  Policy... usually looking up user name / device / whatever in a DB.

>  It's undoubtably a useful
> feature for people who have a reliably consistent database of all identifiers that should
> present a cert, but in some environments that's just too chaotic to pull off... e.g. when users
> can nuke and reinstall an OS or multi-boot.

  Well... if the user screws up their system, the safest thing to do is reject them.

  If they should have a cert, then the server shouldn't make it optional.

  If they shouldn't have a cert, why would they present one?  Where would they get it from?

  It's always better to understand what to do, and to do it right.  Guessing is almost always bad.

> Anyway I didn't mean to derail the user list.  I could take this to a github issue unless there's
> a better place for wishlist stuff.  Thanks for the clarifications.

  That's fine.