logrotate question

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Oct 17 17:39:44 CEST 2017

On Oct 17, 2017, at 11:21 AM, Zenon Mousmoulas <zmousm at noc.grnet.gr> wrote:
> I understand that, upon SIGHUP, freeradius will reopen the main log file (radius.log). I also understand this does not extend to files written by linelog/detail modules; these need to be handled separately (with `radmin -e "hup xxx"'). However the logrotate script does not use such signalling, it rather opts for the copytruncate option. I wonder why that is the case.

  It's largely historical.

> Is it the complexity of sending a signal to all modules (and all potential instances thereof)?

  The log rotate script also has to *know* about those modules.  For all possible user configurations.  That's not trivial.

  It's probably better to just fix FreeRADIUS to HUP linelog, etc. when the main server is HUPd.

> Is it that, apart from re-opening the log file, SIGHUP will also cause the server to reload the (potentially broken) configuration?

  That's possible, too.

  But a good administrator won't break a production system.