not able to install FR 3.0.16+git in (pure) Debian 9

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sat Sep 9 16:30:48 CEST 2017

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2017, at 12:11 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net> wrote:
>> I think the problem arise because users see the debian directory, and
>> expect to build it successfully (i.e. following
>> https://wiki.freeradius.org/building/Debian-and-Ubuntu). But that
>> fails for debian 9.
>
>   I can't feel overly responsible for distributions which break application software.
>
>   There's really no other way to describe this.  They've added patches to Debian after 3.0.15 was released, and those patches break *all* versions of FreeRADIUS.
>
>> IMHO some possible options are:
>> (a) add some instructions (e.g. on
>> https://wiki.freeradius.org/building/Debian-and-Ubuntu), something
>> like 'if you're absolutely sure you're using patched/non-vulnerable
>> versions of openssl, then you can edit these files manually, but don't
>> complain if it's broken", and so on. And point any
>> debian-package-related queries there. OR
>
>   I've pushed patches to v3.0.x which should help.  I'll see if I can add notes to the wiki.

Awesome!

>> (b) someone who cares-enough about having latest FR runs on debian
>> need to find better check methods (e.g. add versions known as safe,
>> etc). Possibly still include some instructions on the wiki (if user
>> still need to edit config files manually to remove additional version
>> checks). OR
>
>   We'll try to get automated builds set up... right now, we're up to a backlog of ~10-20 systems that people want.
>
>> (c) a volunteer steps up to maintain latest (unofficial) FR packages
>> for debian, to make it easier for other debian users. You could even
>> use github to host the repository, so no need to maintain your own
>> server. You'd basically just need time to maintain it.
>
>   People don't care about RADIUS.  :(
>
>   Maybe that will change once we add DNS to the server in v4.

Yeah.

I just edited http://wiki.freeradius.org/building/Pre-built-Packages
to remove links to unofficial OBS build (which was mine, but didn't
have time to maintain it, so it currently doesn't have any packages)
and https://pkg.1labs.ch (which provided debian packages, but it's
last build was 3.0.11
http://pkg.1labs.ch/debian/pool/fr30-release/f/freeradius/?MA).

Hopefully Mathieu will have some time to update his debian repository
in the future (at least until official packages are available), or
someone is willing to maintain up-to-date debian packages.

--
Fajar