ERROR: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) found for the request: Rejecting the user

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Sep 28 17:32:11 CEST 2017

> On Sep 28, 2017, at 11:07 AM, Adam Cage <adamcage27 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Alan, I've followed your advice and it works OK, but not in the way I
> want:
>
> - Virtual server defined in /etc/freeradius/sites-available/ips
>
> - This virtual server file has the following authentication section:
>
> authenticate {
>        ntlm_auth
> }

  Which says "it's allowed to use ntlm_auth as one of the authentication methods", not "this request should use ntlm_auth".

> - When I try to login the user, I get the error:
>
> ERROR: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) found for the request: Rejecting
> the user
> Failed to authenticate the user.
>
> But if I edit /etc/freeradius/users file adding at top (and maintaining the
> ntlm_auth line in the virtual server file):
>
> DEFAULT     Auth-Type = ntlm_auth
>
> now the users can authenticate and login OK !!!

  Yes, because you have to tell the server how to authenticate the user.

   The standard modules do this automatically.  e.g. PAP sets Auth-Type PAP, CHAP sets Auth-Type CHAP, etc.

  If none of the modules set Auth-Type, you have to do it manually.