SQL auth against existing database

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Apr 3 20:28:00 CEST 2018

> On Mar 30, 2018, at 7:52 AM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
>
> On Mar 30, 2018, at 1:00 AM, Charles Sprickman via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
>> This is awesome, thank you.  Officially simpler than what I had to do in gnu-radius.
>
>  Yup.
>
>  In addition to GNU RADIUS being crap, it hasn't had a release in 10 years.

That’s probably the last time I touched it - for us dialup went away, roaming dialup went away, and usenet is barely used so some old version just sat there until it stopped working.  It now just segfaults on startup with no hints in a ktrace dump as to why, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

>  The *only* reason it was started was to have a "EFF / GNU" version of a RADIUS server.  i.e. it was started for political reasons, not technical ones.
>
>  It was one guy, who didn't do a good job of getting community involvement.

He was a nice guy, but it was literally only him.  I used to have a FreeBSD box in my home that I let him use to make sure his software worked outside of Linux.

>  And from day 1 it had fewer features and slower development than FreeRADIUS.  Which goes a long way to explaining why it died.

I think prior to gnu-radius I was on Cistron and prior to that Merit (dating myself).

>  While I don't mind competition, *incompetent* competition is just annoying.

At this point it should just be pulled from all vendor packaging, it’s dead.

I think it’s probably time for me to get with the times and figure out what all the cool kids are doing with Radius now that dialup is dead.  Looking forward to trying this out for wifi auth.  Looking at all the certificate-based stuff and all, it’s shocking how much the software has evolved.

Thanks,

Charles