802.1x question

zhang zhi-heng zhzhang.sg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 08:50:33 CEST 2018

thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users-bounces+zhzhang.sg=gmail.com at lists.freeradius.org> On Behalf Of Brian Julin
Sent: Tuesday, 7 August 2018 1:01 PM
To: freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org
Subject: Re: 802.1x question

zhang zhi-heng <zhzhang.sg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or, in order to pass MAC "and" certificate, it will not be compliant
> with 802.1x since 802.1x only uses x.509 certificate and therefore we
> would need a switch with 802.1x "bypass mode"?

MAC-authentication-bypass mode is used to help clients that cannot do 802.1x.
You should not need it to do 802.1x with an 802.1x-capable client.

With a client that does 802.1x, the RADIUS server will have the MAC address usually because the RADIUS NAS adds extra fields (Calling-Station-Id) and sends them along with the EAP request.  The client does not send these, they are added by the NAS (switch).

When a NAS authenticates a client on a wired port, either by MAB or 802.1x, it usually allows all traffic from the MAC address (Calling-Station-Id).  (For IP first hop security use the normal ARP/DHCP/IP protections, or whatever extra features the switch supports for downloadable ACLs.)

However, even though the MAC address is what is used to permit or deny access, it is kept track of using a Session-Id distinct from the MAC address, and the session usually only applies to a single port on the switch.  Exactly how the NAS and the RADIUS backend handle a MAC showing up on multiple ports differs by vendor, as does the available features for multiple clients on the same port.  These are what you need to pay attention to when evaluating switches.  Nothing beats a test drive.  Also be sure to test wake-on-lan and sleeping machines in your typical deployment environment if you have them.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html