IPv6 accounting RADIUS SQL schema?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Aug 19 21:28:46 CEST 2018

On Aug 19, 2018, at 12:54 PM, Michael Ducharme <mducharme at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is unfortunately extremely common for billing systems to integrate with FreeRADIUS/MySQL via direct database access. Ours uses the accounting data to determine the IP allocation history for the customer or the previous history for an IP, and staff can view the history records through the billing software itself. The billing system also continually monitors the radacct table for new records -- instead of sending an access-reject to a customer who is behind on billing, they are sent an access-accept. A few seconds later, after the billing system has found a new record in the radacct table that shows the customer is online on that IP, the billing system logs into the NAS via its API and adds that IP to an ACL which blocks internet access and forces the customer into a walled garden to make a payment. If the customer disconnects, the billing system logs back into the NAS and removes the IP from the ACL. It is complex but generally works pretty decently,

  My $0.02 is that this sounds like a good use-case for a smart DHCP server.  :)

  i.e. have FreeRADIUS handle DHCP, too.  On initial request, it can check the MAC address in radacct for the username who last logged in.  Then, check their billing history.  If their account is in arrears, give them an IP from a walled garden.