Intermittent failures of mod_krb5

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Fri Feb 23 13:51:11 CET 2018

Sorry, hit send too early by accident.

Relevant bits of config:

[radiusd.conf]

max_request_time = 10

thread pool {
         start_servers = 3
         min_spare_servers = 2
         max_spare_servers = 5
         max_requests_per_server = 0
}

[sites-available/default]

authorize {
         ldap
         # NOTE: ldap module does not set a Cleartext-Password so "pap"
         # is not enabled automatically.  But we are fine to use PAP+krb5
         update control {
                 Auth-Type = PAP

authenticate {
         Auth-Type PAP {
                 krb5

[mods-available/krb5]
krb5 {
         keytab = /etc/krb5.keytab
         service_principal = 'host/ix-radius1.ad.example.net'   #
different for each radius server
         pool { ... everything as defaults ... }
}

I wonder if there is some sort of leak and I should set "uses" or
"lifetime" to limit how long each krb5 instance is used for?

I also have these environment variables set in systemd:

[Service]
Environment=KRB5_CLIENT_KTNAME=/etc/radius.keytab
Environment=KRB5CCNAME=MEMORY:
Restart=always
RestartSec=5

This is so that freeradius can authenticate to the LDAP server for LDAP
queries.  But I don't think the problem is to do with LDAP queries from
freeradius, since the log messages are specifically about rlm_krb5, not
rlm_ldap.

Cheers,

Brian.